Royal Holloway University of London.
(2020-present)- ESRC-funded PhD Researcher.
- Investigating intrinsic motivation for reading
Aston University, Birmingham UK .
(2017-2019)- MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience (part-time)- Distinction
- Research methods: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, eye-tracking, Electroencephalography and Magnetoencephalography.
- Research Dissertation : “Exploring the Comprehension of Written English Words with Fast Periodic Visual Stimulation (FPVS)” Awarded- 82.75 (Distinction)
Aston University, Birmingham, UK .
(2013-2017)- BSc (Hons) in Psychology with Professional Placement- 1st Class Honours
- Final year dissertation: “Does induced mood enhance Navigational Working Memory by Affect or Arousal” Awarded- 75.4 (1st)
- Placement Year Literature Review: “Can Virtual Reality be used as mood induction procedure?” Awarded- 73.4 (1st)
Research Assistant: Exploring the comprehension of Written English Words with Fast Periodic Visual Stimulation.
(October 2019-September 2020)
- Investigated language processing of words displayed at a periodic rate using Fast Periodic Visual Stimulation and EEG
- Used Wuggy-Multilingual Pseudo-word Generator and McWord Orthographic Wordform to produce words, nonwords, pseudo-words and pseudo-homophones matched on specific linguistic variables
- Used E-prime to create a FPVS-Oddball paradigm to display stimuli at a periodic rate
Research Assistant: Aston Literacy Project (ALP), Aston University UK
(March 2018- August 2020)
- Investigating the relationship between reading and vocabulary knowledge in primary school readers (phase 1) and secondary school readers (phase 2) as part of a longitudinal study under the supervision of Dr Laura Shapiro.
- Assisting 3rd year undergraduate psychology students as part of their placement year with admin work, research preparation and data analysis.
- Assisted in preparing laptop tasks and school documents before school visits.
- Collecting data from various schools across Birmingham using standardised tests examining sight word efficiency and phonemic decoding efficiency.
- Using a YARC assessment style Psychopy paradigm to assess reading comprehension and using standardised scoring during analysis.
- Writing teacher feedback reports with averages and histograms to explain findings gathered so far.
Research Assistant: Whole Words Project, Aston University UK
(Dec 2017- August 2020)
- Investigating the methods of teaching high-frequency words to children who failed the Phonics Screening Check (PSC) in Key Stage 1 under the supervision of Dr Laura Shapiro.
- Investigating whether more phonic training or whole word recognition training would benefit children who failed the PSC using standardised tests pre and post training.
- Collecting data from various schools across Birmingham working with 6-7-year old students.
- Analysing pilot data using the SPSS software to measure analysis of co-variance (ANCOVA), effect sizes and averages when measuring word accuracy across pre-test and post-test scores in each training condition.
- Assisted in writing a pre-registered report.
Research Assistant: Pontifical Universidade Catolica Brazil
(Sept 2015-July 2016)
- Conducted research on the relationship between emotion and visual perception under the supervision of Dr Daniel Mograbi
- Recruited and screened eligible participants for the study
- Aided with document preparation and conducting study
- Aided in writing a systematic review examining the effects of Virtual Reality as a tool for Mood Induction which has been published.
- Shadowed psychologists conducting and analysing MRI’s of patients with dementia
- Undertook beginner Portuguese classes